5.01.2006

My Vocation is love

First I just wanted to say we won our softball game today.
_________________________________________

Today I submitted a 12 page paper on three people who had an impact on Christian Spirituality. Believe it or not this was my favorite paper to write all semester. I love reading the writing of the three authors I chose.

First I wrote about Bernard of Clairvaux and his four degrees of love. My last writer was Dietrich Bonhoeffer who I thoroughly enjoyed writing about and reading about his life. The second person I wrote about was Therese of Lisieux. She was my favorite.

I love Therese’s view on the world. She was very young when she died, in her mid-twenties. Through all the struggles in her life, the death of her mother and emotional turmoil, Therese wrote some very profound words in her autobiography. These are some of my favorites.

Here Therese is talking about how it was shown to her why some people suffer and others don’t, why some are rich and some are poor, why some make it and others don’t .

“the splendour of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of its scent nor the daisy of its simple charm.”

Just because people experience different things does not mean they are less love by God.

This is from a section titled “My Vocation.” Therese is struggling with what to do and to be. She has so many professions that she wants to do and all of them to bring glory to God. She finally came to this realization:

“I realized that love includes all vocations, that love is all things, and that, because it is eternal, it embraces every time and place….I cried, ‘Jesus, my love! At last I have found my vocation. My vocation is love! I have found my place in the bosom of the church and it is You, Lord, who has given it to me. In the heart of the church, who is my Mother, I will be love.’”

I love this. “I will be love.”

God,
I pray that everyday I live, with every breath I take and every step I walk my vocation will be love. May I glorify you in everything I do and everything I say. I will be love.

Amen

No comments: