2.24.2005

The Absolute Truth

Before I start into what I really want to talk about, I just want to pause and say that this lectureship was probably the best one I have been to in the last 5 years. I love the focus on being raised with Christ and spreading that wonderful message. Randy Harris says"The missionaries are ready, will the senders send them?" Awesome!

I also would like to acknowledge the fact that as much as I rag on Ryan about not keeping in touch, I do my share of "not keeping in touch" also-so in case any one you think Ryan is this horrible person that never talks to me, change your mind or I will hunt you down! Ryan is awesome and it was a true joy to see him this week!

Now that said, help me figure this out!

As Christians there is an Absolute truth that we believe-There is a God and he sent his son to die for us so we could be with him for eternity. In relation to this truth is it fair to say that God loves us? I am having a hard time figuring out how one could proclaim this truth and doubt God's love-I know we do, we all do. For how long though? There is a difference to me in questioning God- his nature, his power, his love- and dwelling on the questions of his nature, his power and his love. How can God love me and let these things happen to me? Heard that before? Then the same person a week (or so) later says, "God is good" or "God is faithful." But what about those who never get back to the "good" and "faithful" God. It's been almost 8 months since this question was posed to me by a friend of mine and she is still there. Is there something wrong with that? I worry that her faith has been shaken so hard that she has given into the ways in which Satan is pulling her. I can't tell her that God loves her- she doesn't believe it. I can't tell her that I am praying for her-She says no thanks (though it doesn't stop me). I can't tell her that Jesus is carrying her through this-she says he's not around; Oh he's still with people- just not me, she says. How do you help someone figure out that there are some answers we will never know? How do you help them accept that truth?
I tell her I want her to talk to me- I want to tell her so does God. I tell her I'm listening to her, I want to tell her so is God. I tell her that I love her, I want to tell her, so does God. It's the truth!


Be Blessed!!!

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Oh wow Cuz,

What to say?, for real! Just a few thoughts popping into my head.

First, what does she expect from God? What must God do to make things right? Is that even possible? Is there something a human can do to make things right that God isn't doing?

Second, what is our purpose in life? Is life about absorbing blessings or redistributing them. Psalms 119:71 says "it was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees," What in the world does that mean.

There are other thoughts popping up. I would suggest reviewing thoughts presented in Purpose Driven Life.

How may I serve you and/or your friend? I wanna know.
~~Cuz

RPorche said...

Mandy--

Difficult stuff. The reason I struggle in situations like this is that I feel "wrong" since I have no idea how they feel. Sure, it's easy for me to say God is good. But I haven't encountered a life crisis.

Unfortunately, lots of our Christian culture falsely promotes a Christian life that is smooth sailing. The way of Christ is the way of suffering. No where in the Bible does it say we won't have any troubles. In fact, it says just the opposite.

Having a relationship with God through Christ means we can hold on during the rough times--these are the times we need to know more than ever that God is good and faithful.

Keep us posted. Perhaps this would be a good phone conversation. (ahem)