7.23.2005

Expanding my vocabulary

I have been told I am maniacal (look it up) when it comes to beating boys. I think that's a bit extreme don't you? Ah well! What a week. I have found myself longing to be in Portland a lot this week. I am well aware of the fact that we sometimes romatisize things but I don't think that is the case here. I really honestly think that Portland is in need of Jesus and there is nothing more appealing to me then taking the word to a place in need. I praise God for people like Steve and the staff at PUMP who walked through a door that God opened. God bless PUMP, PSP and Portland.

On a different note, this week in Arlington has been awesome. We have been busy and working. After a nice Monday off, we spent Tuesday at Hurricane Harbor with the Jr. High Swim group. That was a lot of fun. I have realized that I easily give into peer pressure at amusement parks. I participated with a group of girls, and Greg, in conquering the "Big Slides" that are right next to I-30. Now typically you could not pay me any amount of money to ride such a ride, but seeing as to how "everyone was doing it" I felt the need to participate. I screamed all the way down closing my mouth only moments before splashing into the pool at the bottom; that was a conscious thought. The report was that the people at the bottom were laughing as well as the people at the top. My remarks, "I could go the rest of my life and never ride that again and be O.K.!" So true.

On Wednesday we had Ignite. Taylor played during our at the cross time and we had mission trip time where we got to share stories that meant something to us from Portland. We had about 15 teens there and about 6 parents not including mission trip adults. I was a little bit disappointed in the turn out but it was good to talk about it nonetheless. We also had Ignite Afterhours Wednesday night. About 10 or so kids stayed and then Bryan, Sean and I were there. Got to play a little bit of ping pong with some real competition. I was successful in my venture for victory-this is when I was deemed maniacal.

Thursday was the Drive-In at the Clarks. We watched National Treasure and were joined by the middle school girls from Highland in Abilene. They were working at Fortress this weekend and came to hang out with us. It was a lot of fun. Coach O'Neal has almost lost hope in my football throwing abilities. Sad day. I'm working on it.

Friday night Lauren Peters and I went to the Rangers game with the Highland group. That was a lot of fun but the game was really sad until the end. We left before it got exciting from what I hear. Oh well. They still lost.

Today, Saturday, was Family Uplift at church. I have really come to love kids this summer and today only confirmed that. I have always struggled with being excited about VBS, Day Camp etc. but this summer I have had ample opportunity to do such things and I would not trade those experiences for the world. Kids love unconditionally. It's no wonder that Jesus told us we must become like a child. I don't think you can get any closer to Jesus love than to love like a child. Praise God for all his little children.

Tomorrow the Zambian Vocal Group will be singing to our teens in our class and then they will be singing in worship. I am very excited to have them and I look forward to what they will share with us in the morning. Tomorrow night starts Project serve. I have never done it but I am really excited. I'm shooting 3 for 3 working with Greg in groups this summer so I am really excited to see what new experiences we will embark on!

What a week! Praise God! I hope you all have a great Sunday and an awesome week!

Be Blessed!!!

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Cuz, you have been such a blessing to the kids you served and mentored over the summer. I enjoy reading about your accomplishments and revelations. If you ever flunder about Houston, you should call me. Or if you're bored... you could call then too. Or if your right middle toe flenches... you should call.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I am so glad that I can call you a sister in Christ! What a blessing you are in His kingdom! May the Lord continue to shine through you in all that you do! Blessings my precious sister!

Anonymous said...

hum...maniacal... that would be one way to put it. hehe.

~Blair

RPorche said...

I love the Zambian Vocal Group! Were you at Highland (Abilene) when they came? I hope you get to spend some time with them. I wish they would let me travel with them. I mean--why wouldn't they?