3.30.2005

Abortion

Whoa! That's a heavy word! It's Wednesday Night and that means 8th graders. Tonight was amazing. Heather and I were in charge of teaching tonight with me being mostly incharge b/c Heather is kinda shy. So I spent about an hour and a half today trying to figure out how we were going to talk to 8th graders about abortion. How would you do it? We tried to ease into it and with courage from above we were able to pull off a pretty challenging lesson. The discussion that we had with the girls during our split time in class really encouraged me and I think was really an encouragement to the girls. We talked about how important it is to act with love and compassion if you are ever put in a situation where abortion is an option for you or your friend.

8th graders are smarter than they get credit for. If you are interested in the lesson plan and the details of how we got 8th graders to talk about abortion call me- I would love to share. I can't take credit for it though because if God hadn't shown up tonight in obvious ways I don't think it would have gone over as smoothly as it did.

We also had a conversation with the girls about the recent Terri Schiavo case and what they thought. What a difficult situation to be a decision maker in. Who get's the right to decide if she lives or dies? Is it not God who times things in his perfect will? Where, then, is the line drawn in treatment and cruality? I don't know the answers. I am glad I am not making the decision but that doesn't halt the questions of ethics and morality.

Thank you God for guidence through tough issues like abortion. Thank you for speaking through the four of us tonight and for penatrating the hearts of the young people we work with.

God, be with us all as the stresses in our lives seem to be at a climax. Help us manage our time and focus our energy in the right places.

Amen

Be Blessed!!!

1 comment:

JPReding said...

Mandy,

Thanks for sharing your experience last night from class. While I wrestled with studying for test, you, Heather, Lair, and Clint were all wrestling with showing Jesus and speaking life to these kids. It is cool that they were so open and compassionate in response.

J Red