1.13.2005

The Authority of Scripture

I hope that everyone has had a great week so far. As for me, there is always something about the first week of school that is overwhelming and amazing all at the same time! I'm ready for the weekend!

Here's the question on my mind. Does Scripture have Intrinsic or Extrinsic authority? In our reading for Exegesis it was mentioned that Scripture has intrinsic authority, that is it has power because it is. As a Christian I can understand this. Because it is the Bible, it has authority over my life. What about the non-Christians though? Scripture is just another book, therefore implying that it only has power if we give it power, extrinsic authority. Is Scripture intrinsic or extrinsic or is it possible that it is both? Let me know what you think!

Have a great weekend and Be Blessed!!!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Mandy,

I think this a barrier which seperates the "liberals" from the "conservatives". The liberals place an emphasis on the intrinsic authority and allows liberty to do thing extrinsically. The conservatives place emphasis on extrinsic authority, thats why traditions are kept, physical acts MUST be carried out, etc. It's ironic you made this post because I had just had a discussion about this with a conservative friend of mine from Freed.
I believe that the intrinsic authority will ultimately lead us to displaying things extrinsic things mentioned in the Bible. I would like to talk more about it if you would...

Because of our sympathetic High Priest,
Cousin