11.14.2004

Camp Shakinah: Unshakable Faith

Thank you to all who have participated in the "Name That Camp" contest! What happened was those that submitted entries, Cousin and Ryan, will be receiving in the mail a letter of appreciation accompanied by $25,000 in the next week!!! YEAH RIGHT! If I had that kind of money I would give it to you BUT I don't so I guess you will have to settle for a coke next time I see you both! The title of camp for those that skip the titles of my blog is "Camp Shekinah: Unshakable Faith" I am really pretty much in love with this title so if you hate it-keep it to yourself and if you love it let me know! Cousin email me some history on Shekinah if you have any. And Ryan, I love the idea of unshakable faith! Thanks again guys! I am really excited about this camp-now if I only had a youth group to do it for!

Other News: I got back this afternoon at about 4:30 from the First Colony Fall Retreat. It was a great refreshing weekend. The three of us interns, me Joel and Sarah, drove down there together along with Landon and Justin (Sarah's BF) Friday night. The five of us loaded the Blue Dragon, which is cool kid lingo for the periwinkle colored mini-van, and took off for Sugar Land. We got to SL Friday night in time to hit up the last two hours of The Backdoor. When we got there we were kind of disappointed that there were only like 8 kids there, but we did have fun with those eight. Landon stayed at his house Friday night and the rest of us bunked at the Davis' and that was fun. We all decided that it was like going home. We had fun with them. Matt got up and made us breakfast Saturday morning and we went up to the church at about 7:50 a.m. We left at about 8:45 for the camp grounds. We took the Mini-van so we could leave from the camp grounds today and JCo rode with us. The four of us in the back, JCo, Landon, Joel and Me had a good talk about our break-ups. The three of us basically informed Jen of what happened. It was fun even though I was hearing everyone's story for the 2nd or 3rd time and telling mine for the billionth time. As far as the rest of the weekend, it was so good to see all the kids. The more time I spend with them the more I fall in love with them. I am so excited about going into ministry. The chance to impact the lives of kids in the name of Christ is the coolest opportunity I think God has ever presented me with. We all worked with the Jr. High kids this weekend and I can't tell you how much fun Jr. High kids are. Joel and I were group leaders together and that was a blast. It was the first time that we got to work together in a group setting as far as small group leadership goes. It was fun! Free time was great too, there was canoeing and archering. That was a blast. The first time I had ever shot a Bow & Arrow. I decided that is I was gonna do an Olympic sport I would do that b/c it's just so much fun.

The trip back today was enjoyable. Joel, Justin, Sarah and I played the question game for about 2 hours on the way back and that was a lot of fun. Other than that we kinda took turns sleeping and trying not to get knocked off the road by 18-wheelers, which did almost happen.

And here we are. I am at work, which is where I always do my blogging. I am listening to my new CD's! I love them! I am also trying to recover from the weekend. My voice took a beating this weekend and being out in the cold most of the time doesn't help you in anyway to be healthy so it's the good guys vs. the bad guys in my body right now and the fear of enemy defeat is slowly becoming reality.

Well, I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and I look forward to the comments that continually flood my blog. Have a great week and Be Blessed!!!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I thought that by commenting on my own blog it would encourage other to comment. I like comments-they're fun

Danielle said...

You are so cute mandy... glad you had fun!

Jeremy said...

Ok... so this post is two-fold.

First, I am so excited that you chose MY Suggestion, out of the millions that cluttered your blog, that you had to sort through for YEARS. TEAR... tissue, someone....DANIELLE, TISSUE!!! ok. I trust you got my emails since rudeness prevented you from emailing back! JK JK. I got your Im, but alas, you were not signed on when I returned from my grueling task at..shall we call it... "the Hut". I love that Motto. Kudos to Ryan...High Five!...Gime some skin of kin in Christ!...

Second... Thanks for the (what I assume to be) unabridged version of your ventures over the weekend. Oh, who cares if it's long, you tell great stories. **Officially Jealous. I would really like to spend some time at First Colony. I could use a college group with the beliefs I yearn for here (Freed). Danielle, I want you to come too!

Three...(ok so I lied about TWO-fold) I love ya a lot! Don't you ever Die!!! (censered quote from Pearl Harbor - no I'm not a chick)... and I want your cds...now.

Love always...and forever...In Christ
Cuz

RPorche said...

Mandy, I need to meet your cousin. He is much better at giving you a hard time than I am! His comment made me laugh. I'm honored that you were willing to use my suggestions even though you were left with no other choice.

If you're going to bring in the word "Shekinah," then at some point in the camp you need to reveal this to all the kids: Today, God's "shekinah glory" is inside each of us! The Holy Spirit! Can I get a witness?

Jesus "made all things new"--including our ability to be closer to the Father than ever before (Hebrews 9-10). In fact, I could stand up and preach a sermon on this right now. But I know you have better things to read and there's no one in my office at the moment--so I'll hold off.