10.10.2006

I have AIDS

Well, I don't but a girl named Olivia in Africa does. I stepped into her life this weekend. For 20 minutes I listened to the sounds of Olivia's world and experienced some of her emotions. I waited for the results of the blood test and I was stamped with the 'X.' I have AIDS. Olivia has AIDS.

For 30 seconds I experienced hopelessness. No friends, no family, only an 'X' and a quarantined bench to sit on. I waited. I waited for a "clean" person to reach out and offer hope. Hope came and so did the tears. I listened to how Olivia's life turned out. She has chosen the road less traveled and has become an advocate for AIDS Awareness. She has started a support group in her own community.

My heart cried for her and so many who are like her living in the humiliation of this disease. Sin has caused such great pain for the children of God. I believe in the cause now. I only regret that it took me so long. Pray for the many many out there who struggle daily to see how a God who is good and loving can allow family member after family member to die in front of them of this awful disease.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Dear God,

I thank you for allowing Olivia to share her story, and I thank you for giving mandy the conviction to become an advocate as well. You are so mighty and Loving. Jesus, I pray that through this awful diease that you are known and sought after. Lord I pray that you reach out to more people to become voices for people with AIDS. Father, I ask that you hold these people in your loving arms and offer comfort when noone else wants to go near them. Jesus I ask that you touch more lives like mandy's so that your love can reach out to more people like olivia... I pray this in your most holy name,

Amen

Jeremy said...

How did you meet olivia. Sharing her perspective is a vital tool to snatch us out of our Starbucks Christian lifestyle and show us desperations others around the world face. Thanks for being God's window by sharing that wtory with me.

Cousin