8.11.2006

Summer is done before it's done

Well, school starts Monday for Belton ISD and I presume this start date is not too far off from those in your area. It's crazy that summer is already over and kids are now feeling the rush of finishing their summer reading in time and all that jazz. What I really don't get though it the fact that summer ends about two weeks before it actually ends. What I mean is, The band kids, football kids, swimmers and so on and so on actually start practices 2 weeks before school starts. What is with that? As if school isn't enough stress on it's own, let's go ahead and make the extra stuff longer! Whatever man! I'm out!

___________________________________

Although school is starting and people already feel like they are back we were able to have a great time with our high schoolers last Sunday evening. There is a girl in our group who is in the hospital from a car accident, in ICU, and we went up there and spent time talking with her mom and sister and then we sang and prayed with them. Now if you know me, you know my heart is easily touched by the words and melodies of songs and last Sunday was no different. As we were singing I was watching Sabrina (the mom), and I looked around the waiting room. The man watching TV got up, turned the TV all the way down and bowed his head. Maybe he was praying maybe he was just listening but either way he was hearing God. The two ladies in the corner were holding hands praying with each other and the family in the hall stopped in the doorway and joined in the singing. God was working and moving in people. I was great to be reminded of God supreme glory and everlasting faithfulness.

___________________________________________

I have had a good week. We have been really busy this week but I have been encouraged by people this week. Lots of good conversations, lots of tough conversations but lots of God in all the conversations.

I want to mention one thing really quickly. Most of you know I am doing a Youth Residency in Belton Texas. I am living with a family from the church here and I don't think I have mentioned a whole lot about them. Let me take a sec to tell you about them. The Dad works up at the offices and does a great job of keeping things in order. He is the glue that holds things together around here. The mom stays at home and does a wonderful job of looking out for her family, for me and for all of her friends. I rarely meet people who are so proactive in their relationships with other people and it has been neat to watch her intentionally develop those this summer. The daughter is a a Jr.. in High School and she is lovin' life. She's one of the Drum Majors and has worked a lot of Band this summer. She has a great heart for people and to minister to people where she sees a need. God is going to use her in great ways these next two years I know. And The son. I don't even know where to begin. Most of you will understand the phrase "The little brother I always wanted." Well that's him. He keeps me on my toes that's for sure! I have enjoyed my time beating him up and such and I'm sure he has equally enjoyed pushing my buttons. No matter, he's a great kid! This family has been such a blessing to my life this summer and even though I will move out in a couple of weeks, I will still call it home, and it will always be in a way.

Be Blessed!!!

1 comment:

JPReding said...

Mandy Shae,

Glad to catch up on your blog some after being gone so long.

School is different already and it hasn't even started. Thanks for the friendship we shared while here at ACU.

Your in my prayers today!

Jonathan