7.14.2010

New Book to Read

Here I am, 26, and finally starting a career. At least what I hope will be a career. After consultations with God, my husband, my parents and others it has been decided that my ministry is going to take place in the public school system of America. I don't know how or why but that is that. I will begin teaching Science to Jr. High students in the very near future, about a month from now. I'm excited.



It's like getting a book but not getting to read it yet. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for about 7 months and have just now had the opportunity to sink my teeth into it. There were a lot of other things going on that required my attention: grad school, graduation from grad school, getting married, training to be a teacher, getting a teaching job, that kind of thing. But alas now I am reading it.



I must say when I bought it I had no idea what it was about. "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" isn't the kind of information giving title that makes you jump out of your seat to read it. However it was intriguing enough to buy, not to mention the latest from Donald Miller (the Blue Like Jazz guy) who writes as if he were having a conversation with you across the table. So far so good. Really makes you want to jump into a story <- read it to better understand that.



So, I feel like I am doing that. Jumping into a story. I'm going to be a science teacher. I have worked hard, and been through hours of training sessions to get to this point but I feel as though it was all the preface. Chapter 1 is finally starting. It the part where I find out I am completely unprepared to teach science to Jr. High students and yet if I could start today I would. It's the chapter when I express all my fears about wanting to be liked and if my name on my social security records will get changed in time for my first pay check and insurance. It's the section of the book where all the anticipations and expectations are laid out, as if there was a lesson plan for the year and I am checking things off. It's the part where my husband and I embark on a new life adventure, together, for the first time. It's a love story, a fairy tale and a reality show. It's chapter 1. Welcome to my story. Hope you find it as good a read as I am.

No comments: